Message to Alumni & Friends
Southwestern Oklahoma State University College of Pharmacy alumni and friends have made the Southwestern Pharmacy Alumni Foundation possible. Your support allows the Pharmacy Foundation to assist the College of Pharmacy in its efforts to educate pharmacy students, produce outstanding pharmacy professionals for the future, and remain one of the best pharmacy education programs in the nation.
Thank you for your support!
Make a Gift
to the Pharmacy Foundation to Support the SWOSU College of Pharmacy
The Southwestern Pharmacy Alumni Foundation is dedicated to supporting the Southwestern Oklahoma State University College of Pharmacy and enriching the educational experience of the pharmacy students. As an alumnus/alumna or friend, perhaps your greatest reward is the role you play in preserving the Southwestern Pharmacy spirit and supporting your SWOSU College of Pharmacy family.
Every donation makes a difference, no matter the amount. Whether you give a one-time donation, commit to a pledge gift, or establish a scholarship endowment, you will be making an important impact on the lives of the SWOSU College of Pharmacy students. Listed below are a number of giving options.
Your generous support with your tax-deductible donation to the SW Pharmacy Foundation ensures the tradition of excellence in pharmacy education continues at your SWOSU College of Pharmacy.
Your gift to the Pharmacy Foundation will strengthen the SWOSU College of Pharmacy, support programs that are not covered by state appropriations, and help ensure that pharmacy students receive the training and skills they need to excel in today’s world.
Contributions to the Pharmacy Foundation are used to reward talented and promising students with scholarship opportunities, assist students with financial need, honor the accomplishments of dedicated students as well as faculty, and much more.
Your gift makes a difference for the SWOSU College of Pharmacy students, faculty and community.
Note: Your gift may provide you with federal and state income tax benefits. Your state may also allow a credit or deduction. The Southwestern Pharmacy Alumni Foundation has 501(c)(3) nonprofit tax exempt status.
- Technology upgrades for practice and computer labs
- Classroom equipment
- Library resources
- Student study areas
- Support for outreach programs
- Student achievement awards
- Enhanced recruitment programs, and more.
Student scholarships serve to assist pharmacy students who are in financial need, recognize deserving students for their academic achievements, and/or promote professionalism. The need to enhance the Scholarship Fund is greater than ever. Please help the SWOSU College of Pharmacy students by giving to the Southwestern Pharmacy Foundation’s pharmacy scholarship fund this year for next year’s scholarships. The Gift Contribution Form is provided for your consideration.
- Academic Enrichment Fund provides support to students and faculty by enhancing classrooms and labs as well as technology and educational delivery systems. You are invited to continue the tradition of excellence in pharmacy education at SWOSU by helping to provide support for this endeavor.
- Student Enrichment Fund provides support to students to attend local, regional and national conferences and events, participate in professional development activities as well as outreach and networking opportunities. By supporting this fund, you can directly impact the professional journey of the pharmacy students.
- SWOSU Pharmacy & History Fund provides funding for the enhancement of the pharmacy museum within the building that houses the main College of Pharmacy on SWOSU campus. The fund also supports the collection and cataloging of memorabilia and general pharmacy artifacts donated from alumni and friends. Additionally, the fund sponsors the creation of College of Pharmacy history/memory documents that serve as records of the pharmacy program which was established at SWOSU in 1939.
- Unrestricted Fund provides flexible funding and supports the highest priority needs of the pharmacy program. Your gift to this fund allows the SWOSU College of Pharmacy to seize new opportunities that emerge, as well as supports the existing outstanding students, faculty and programs. Your generosity to this fund plays a critical role in the SWOSU College of Pharmacy’s ability to fulfill its mission and is truly appreciated.
The Southwestern Pharmacy Alumni Foundation is proud to manage several types of funds for student support and programs/services enrichment. These funds are possible because of the generosity of SWOSU College of Pharmacy Alumni & Friends.
When you establish a fund with the Southwestern Pharmacy Alumni Foundation, you give deserving pharmacy students the opportunity to pursue their dreams while achieving your own charitable goals.
If you would like to help a SWOSU College of Pharmacy student achieve their educational goals by establishing a scholarship/speciality fund with the Pharmacy Foundation, we would be honored to visit with you. Please contact us for more information.
Ways to Give
to the Pharmacy Foundation to support the SWOSU College of Pharmacy
Alumni and friends of Southwestern College of Pharmacy generously provide support through the Southwestern Pharmacy Alumni Foundation to maintain our commitment to excellence. While the current tax code encourages the tangible benefits of charitable giving, the intangible rewards can be much greater.
There are many ways to make a gift to the Pharmacy Foundation to support the SWOSU College of Pharmacy. Structure a gift that is convenient for you, addresses your financial and philanthropic goals, and has real impact. You may want to consider one or more of the following: One-Time Gift: make a gift today; Pledge Gift: determine the amount you would like to give – for the year or over several years – and arrange a timeline for payment; Recurring Gift: arrange to make gifts of a pre-designated amount over time; and/or Planned Giving.
Outright Gifts provide valuable support for current programs while Planned Gifts provide substantial support for future use. Below is an introduction of the various methods by which you may support the College of Pharmacy and retain tax benefits. For more information about ways to give, please contact us.
Outright "Current" Gifts
A gift of cash (cash, check, credit/debit card, money order) is the easiest way of giving to the Pharmacy Foundation. An unrestricted gift to be used for priority needs is of great benefit. Gifts may also be designated. Without designation, your gift will be unrestricted for use where the need or opportunity is the greatest. Your gift is tax deductible and is immediately available to the Pharmacy Foundation to support the College of Pharmacy. For your convenience, complete the Gift Contribution Form.
A pledge represents support for the present and a confidence that the future will offer even more for the profession of pharmacy. With your pledge for a future gift, we will send you a friendly reminder for the pledge period you select on the Gift Contribution Form.
Upon the loss of a loved one, some families prefer gifts be directed to charitable organizations in lieu of flowers. Southwestern Pharmacy Alumni Foundation, Inc. is honored to receive such gifts in memory of alumni, students, faculty, staff and friends of the SWOSU College of Pharmacy. Donors will be acknowledged by the Pharmacy Foundation and the family contact will be notified of the names and addresses of all individuals who make memorial gifts. Your memorial gift can be made using our Gift Contribution Form.
Class reunions, retirements, special anniversaries, graduations, birthdays and ‘Just Because’ are times when you may choose to direct charitable gifts to the Pharmacy Foundation. Such a tribute provides a meaningful, living gift to friends, relatives or colleagues by honoring a special occasion. Donors will be acknowledged by the Pharmacy Foundation and individuals being honored will be notified of all gifts made in their honor. For more information, see our Gift Contribution Form.
Many corporations encourage employees to participate in philanthropic opportunities by matching, doubling, or even tripling each dollar you contribute to the Pharmacy Foundation. Your company’s personnel department can provide details and the matching gift form to include with your gift contribution. For more information, please contact us.
Common stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and other appreciated securities may be donated to the Southwestern Pharmacy Alumni Foundation. Depending upon the circumstances, the Pharmacy Foundation will either manage or liquidate the securities to achieve the donor’s goals. A popular benefit of such a gift beyond the charitable income tax deduction is the avoidance, in most cases, of capital gains tax on the appreciation. It is almost always to your advantage to transfer appreciated securities to the Pharmacy Foundation directly, rather than selling them and giving cash. For more information about donating Gifts of Securities, contact us.
Planned "Deferred" Gifts
Deferred gifts are the result of careful planning that integrates a donor’s charitable gift into his or her overall financial, tax, and estate planning objectives so as to maximize benefits for both the donor and the Southwestern Pharmacy Alumni Foundation. Planned gifts typically come from a donor’s assets rather than income and can be outright gifts, deferred gifts, or a combination of the two. Each of the deferred planned giving instruments in this section (Bequests and Life Insurance) is closely regulated by law and requires special arrangements and tax treatment. Please refer to each for more information. For additional information about Planned Giving, please contact us.
A bequest is a gift made through a Will or Living Trust. The Southwestern Pharmacy Alumni Foundation is often named beneficiary in the Wills and Living Trusts of alumni and friends. Bequests may be stated as a percentage of the estate, as the residual of the estate, or a specific dollar amount. Since a Will can be changed, no income tax benefits are associated with a bequest; however, the donor’s estate is reduced by the amount of the bequest for estate tax purposes.
Pharmacy Foundation representatives are available to confer with you and your attorney in drafting the appropriate bequest clauses. For your convenience, here is the basic contact information to include in your documents (Official Name: Southwestern Pharmacy Alumni Foundation, Inc.; Mailing Address: P.O. Box 702, Weatherford, OK, 73096; Phone Numbers: 580-774-3190; Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org). Your support is appreciated!
Life Insurance can become a gift more valuable than the actual money expended when the policy is given to the Pharmacy Foundation and is named as the beneficiary. Three different giving opportunities are available with life insurance:
- First method: A donor can contribute a “paid up” policy to the Pharmacy Foundation and receive an income tax deduction equal to the policy’s cash/replacement value.
- Second method: A donor can name the Pharmacy Foundation as primary beneficiary of the policy, resulting in estate tax savings, but no income tax deduction.
- Third method: A donor can name the Pharmacy Foundation as owner and beneficiary of a new policy and receive an income tax deduction for the amount of the premiums paid.
Your gift of a life insurance policy shows your pride and strong loyalty to the SWOSU College of Pharmacy. To do this, remember to name the Southwestern Pharmacy Alumni Foundation as the beneficiary of your life insurance policy and include the contact information (P.O. Box 702, Weatherford, OK, 73096; Phone Numbers: 580-774-3190; Email: email@example.com). For more information, please contact us.
Mission of the Pharmacy Foundation
The Southwestern Pharmacy Alumni Foundation was incorporated in 1974 for the overall purpose of supporting the educational endeavors of the Southwestern Oklahoma State University College of Pharmacy. Some of the activities that the Pharmacy Foundation is involved in providing for the College of Pharmacy are student scholarships and loans, financial assistance to student organizations, student and faculty research support, equipment for instruction and research, remodeling of the facilities including classrooms and labs, furniture and fixtures for student and faculty areas, clinical training opportunities for students, and publication of the Apothecary and The Sig.
Board of Directors & Officers
Board of Directors
- Greg Adams – Clinton, OK
- Colby Brewster – Elk City, OK
- Richard Covington – Chandler, OK
- Mark Dodson – Altus, OK
- Dorothy Gourley – Ardmore, OK
- Greg Huenergardt – Shattuck, OK
- John Lassiter – Moore, OK
- Paul Moore – Oklahoma City, OK
- Bill Poteet – Lubbock, TX
- David Ralph – Weatherford, OK
- John Walker – Amarillo, TX
- David Warden – Norman, OK
- Greg Adams – President
- Greg Huenergardt – Vice President
- Colby Brewster – Secretary
- Bill Poteet – Past President
- David Ralph – Financial Administrator
- SWOSU President – Dr. Diana Lovell
- SWOSU College of Pharmacy Interim Dean – Dr. Les Ramos
- Pharmacy Alumni & Development Director – Patti Harper, M.B.A.
Planned Gifts provide substantial support for future use at the SWOSU College of Pharmacy. For more information about ways to give, please contact us.